Ford Fiesta ST
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#223393 - 21/07/10 01:02 PM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Jimmy007]
TEBBS Offline

Loc: MANSFIELD, NOTTINGHAM
thanks for that jimmy, that what i ment lol
if you could give a quick guide on how to fit that would be great.
and i know what u mean with the shipping i thought the same.
thanks for your help

#223394 - 21/07/10 01:42 PM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Jimmy007]
Kaxe Offline

Quote:

But as Kaxe says pound for pound a great MOD!!..

haha thanks for the shout-out! Yeah they are one of the best, cheap and smallest mods you can buy for the GET THEM if you haven't people!
You're right the 12.5mm spacers do make the back wheels measure up inline with the front I have those ones
Very nice write-up bud!

#223395 - 21/07/10 07:23 PM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Kaxe]
Alex_H Offline

Loc: SE London
I was gonna buy the 20.5mm ones, but would you guys recommend the 12.5mm ones instead?

Also with these ones (Jimmys link) do you need longer studs? Or does the kit come with everything you need?

Sorry for the Q's

#223396 - 21/07/10 07:26 PM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Kaxe]
Jimmy007 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Ok here goes on the how too...

Its might not be 100% right but it'll give you an idea.

Firstly tools, A simple socket and spanner set, I just used the jack from my car, and a screw driver and hammer. Also if someone can lend you a hand helping with holding the hub etc it would be helpful although I managed on my own.

Dont want to sound patronising or teach anyone to suck eggs, but make sure the car is on flat and level ground before doing this IE not on a hill..lol

jack the car up and take the wheel of as normal.

If you look behind the hub you can see four bolts holding the hub assembly to the axle and the Abs sensor with the wire running into it. You will also see a small bracket with the handbrake cable on it. spray some good old WD40 onto the bolt holding the handbrake cable bracket and the rest of the bolts.

Follow the abs sensor wire and take it out of the first clip that holds it onto the axle.(gives you more room to move the hub when you remove it so as you don't damage the wireing)

With the handbrake off(make sure the front wheels are chocked) just pull the end of the cable off its connection to the hub (its like a small hook type system), then remove the bracket also and tuck it up behind the shock or something to keep it out your way. ( your doing this to make some room to get the bolts off and so it doesn't get in the road later)

Now if you can and you have either a long reach socket remove the ABS sensor. Now if its slightly rusted then don't try so hard that you strip the head of the bolt, it can be taken off at a later stage which is what I did.

I then loosened the four bolts holding on the hub itself and remove them completely. I used a long reach socket and I think its a 17mm socket. Just watch as the hub is now not held on by anything, and may fall so make sure your able to hold it up so it doesn't fall and damage the brake lines or the ABS sensor wire if you've still got it attached (where a helper would be useful).

The hub on mine took a wee bit if gentle persuasion to release it from the axle. I then removed the ABS sensor with a spanner and screw driver as I was able to get a better purchase on it and make sure I didn't knacker the Head of the bolt. the hub will now be free of the axle, apart from the brake line.

I sat the hub on my lap, and then with a screw driver and hammer levered the metal brake disk cover from the axle. I had to knock the head of the pop rivet's with the screw driver and hammer. This should now be completely free.

The spacer will only align up with the bolt holes a certain way so figure this out and sit it in situ with the new bolts. Its hard to explain the next bit, but one of the faces of the spacer is pretty flat and the other face has a couple of bits cut out of it or a step down in the face, this is so as to accommodate the ABS sensor, the smoothed side has to be sitting flush with the axle.

I then got the abs sensor and put it through the axle, then the spacer, then through the brake disc cover, and then bolted to back into place on the hub. (a bit tricky but because you released the cable from the small clip on the axle you've got more room to move and get in at it) I found it easy to put the bolts through the axle and place the different parts onto it before trying to align the hub assembly

Now align up the hub, to the brake disc cover, and then the spacer, and then bolt it all together (It was a 19mm socket for the new bolts). So if you were to look at it from the axle out it will be axle, spacer, brake disc cover, then the hub assembly. I found it easy to put the bolts through the axle and place the different parts onto it before trying to align the hub assembly. Part of the ABS sensor will be sandwiched in the small cut out bit of the spacer and next to the hub (if it looks like its going to stop the hub and spacer fitting together nice and flush then the spacer is probably the wrong way around).

When I tightened everything up I found out the bolts were to long and the hub wouldn't turn so I took out one bolt at a time and shortened them by about 5mm or so it might be different on your car so don't cut anything until you think its doing the same. It says in the details with the spacer that it should be torqued to 65 but I just guessed it (ie as tight as I could .lol)

Then simply put the handbrake cable bracket back in place, and the handbrake cable back on. and then clip the wire back in place.. Jobs a good un, and repeat for the other side!!!

It might sound a like alot to do but it really is pretty simple and any one with a wee bit of DIY or basic car maintenance skills will be able to figure it out for them selves.. One thing I will say is if your going to do it on your own without a helper make sure everything is within reaching distance, as there isn't anywhere to put the hub assembly really once its all unbolted and you don't want to end up damaging the brake pipes..

Hope this helps and makes sense..

J.
2007 ST Frozen white, De-badged, De-striped, window tint, leather Gear Gaiter, MOMO gear Knob, Carbon fibre mud flaps, K&N, aluminium Induction pipe,Eibach Springs, 12.5mm axle spacers and some stainless steel bling under the bonnet...

#223397 - 21/07/10 07:31 PM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Jimmy007]
Duncan_P Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Wincanton, Somerset
Havent read all of that but

Flickr

#223398 - 21/07/10 07:32 PM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Duncan_P]
Alex_H Offline

Great guide

I'll take mine to a mechanic mate...

#223399 - 22/07/10 09:15 AM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Alex_H]
Kaxe Offline

Quote:

I was gonna buy the 20.5mm ones, but would you guys recommend the 12.5mm ones instead?

Also with these ones (Jimmys link) do you need longer studs? Or does the kit come with everything you need?

Sorry for the Q's

I recommend the 12.5mm one's mate to match the front!

Nice write up Jimmy!

#223400 - 22/07/10 03:28 PM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Alex_H]
Jimmy007 Offline

The kit comes with the bolts.

Id stick to the 12.5mm personally, it would mean the cars more balanced.

J.
2007 ST Frozen white, De-badged, De-striped, window tint, leather Gear Gaiter, MOMO gear Knob, Carbon fibre mud flaps, K&N, aluminium Induction pipe,Eibach Springs, 12.5mm axle spacers and some stainless steel bling under the bonnet...

#223401 - 23/07/10 09:33 AM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Jimmy007]
TEBBS Offline

Loc: MANSFIELD, NOTTINGHAM
Quote:

Ok here goes on the how too...

Its might not be 100% right but it'll give you an idea.

Firstly tools, A simple socket and spanner set, I just used the jack from my car, and a screw driver and hammer. Also if someone can lend you a hand helping with holding the hub etc it would be helpful although I managed on my own.

Dont want to sound patronising or teach anyone to suck eggs, but make sure the car is on flat and level ground before doing this IE not on a hill..lol

jack the car up and take the wheel of as normal.

If you look behind the hub you can see four bolts holding the hub assembly to the axle and the Abs sensor with the wire running into it. You will also see a small bracket with the handbrake cable on it. spray some good old WD40 onto the bolt holding the handbrake cable bracket and the rest of the bolts.

Follow the abs sensor wire and take it out of the first clip that holds it onto the axle.(gives you more room to move the hub when you remove it so as you don't damage the wireing)

With the handbrake off(make sure the front wheels are chocked) just pull the end of the cable off its connection to the hub (its like a small hook type system), then remove the bracket also and tuck it up behind the shock or something to keep it out your way. ( your doing this to make some room to get the bolts off and so it doesn't get in the road later)

Now if you can and you have either a long reach socket remove the ABS sensor. Now if its slightly rusted then don't try so hard that you strip the head of the bolt, it can be taken off at a later stage which is what I did.

I then loosened the four bolts holding on the hub itself and remove them completely. I used a long reach socket and I think its a 17mm socket. Just watch as the hub is now not held on by anything, and may fall so make sure your able to hold it up so it doesn't fall and damage the brake lines or the ABS sensor wire if you've still got it attached (where a helper would be useful).

The hub on mine took a wee bit if gentle persuasion to release it from the axle. I then removed the ABS sensor with a spanner and screw driver as I was able to get a better purchase on it and make sure I didn't knacker the Head of the bolt. the hub will now be free of the axle, apart from the brake line.

I sat the hub on my lap, and then with a screw driver and hammer levered the metal brake disk cover from the axle. I had to knock the head of the pop rivet's with the screw driver and hammer. This should now be completely free.

The spacer will only align up with the bolt holes a certain way so figure this out and sit it in situ with the new bolts. Its hard to explain the next bit, but one of the faces of the spacer is pretty flat and the other face has a couple of bits cut out of it or a step down in the face, this is so as to accommodate the ABS sensor, the smoothed side has to be sitting flush with the axle.

I then got the abs sensor and put it through the axle, then the spacer, then through the brake disc cover, and then bolted to back into place on the hub. (a bit tricky but because you released the cable from the small clip on the axle you've got more room to move and get in at it) I found it easy to put the bolts through the axle and place the different parts onto it before trying to align the hub assembly

Now align up the hub, to the brake disc cover, and then the spacer, and then bolt it all together (It was a 19mm socket for the new bolts). So if you were to look at it from the axle out it will be axle, spacer, brake disc cover, then the hub assembly. I found it easy to put the bolts through the axle and place the different parts onto it before trying to align the hub assembly. Part of the ABS sensor will be sandwiched in the small cut out bit of the spacer and next to the hub (if it looks like its going to stop the hub and spacer fitting together nice and flush then the spacer is probably the wrong way around).

When I tightened everything up I found out the bolts were to long and the hub wouldn't turn so I took out one bolt at a time and shortened them by about 5mm or so it might be different on your car so don't cut anything until you think its doing the same. It says in the details with the spacer that it should be torqued to 65 but I just guessed it (ie as tight as I could .lol)

Then simply put the handbrake cable bracket back in place, and the handbrake cable back on. and then clip the wire back in place.. Jobs a good un, and repeat for the other side!!!

It might sound a like alot to do but it really is pretty simple and any one with a wee bit of DIY or basic car maintenance skills will be able to figure it out for them selves.. One thing I will say is if your going to do it on your own without a helper make sure everything is within reaching distance, as there isn't anywhere to put the hub assembly really once its all unbolted and you don't want to end up damaging the brake pipes..

Hope this helps and makes sense..

J.

Thanks alot buddy you've just saved me bags of time.
cheers ill have a pop on saturday

#223402 - 23/07/10 09:35 PM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: TEBBS]
Jimmy007 Offline

Nice!!..

Let us know how you get on and the write up of how I did it made sense or was any use.

cheers,

J.

#223403 - 25/07/10 07:40 PM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Jimmy007]
Duff Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Flanders, Belgium
As you know i got the 20.5mm spacers fitted a few weeks back, with no issues at all so far... until yesterday when i had 2 (average weight) ppl in the back.
When going over speedbumps at the speed i usually take them, i sometimes heard the tires rub a little against the inside edge of the arches. Adjusted my speed a little going over bumps meant no more rubbing so i'll just have to keep it in mind when having ppl in the back next time

Do note i also have normal lowering springs so with the standard springs you should be fine.

Edited by Duff (25/07/10 07:41 PM)

#223404 - 26/07/10 10:07 AM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: Duff]
Alex_H Offline

Thanks for the update Duff

#559282 - 01/03/16 05:25 PM Re: Rear Axle Handling Upgrade 20.5mm [Re: TEBBS]
MikeTheMechanic Offline
Stranger

Anyone of you guys got the OE parts number for the 20,5 mm spacers ?? confused

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Duncan_P, kenny, Kev 
Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 146 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Featured Member
Today's Birthdays
Scotty (34)
Newest Members
Damianst150, DamoSmith, INDYDFX, tiborneubauer, Robertop
8281 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
ChrisCumbria 15
kenny 6
disco!!!! 5