Ford Fiesta ST
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#305102 - 02/05/11 10:23 AM Is it hard to fit new spark plugs?
Penny Offline

Loc: Northants/France
As titled i have ordered some new plugs, spark plug tool and new leads, is it fairly straight forward? Also do i tighten them to 12nm?

Thanks for any help.

#305103 - 02/05/11 12:44 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: Penny]
st07 Offline

Loc: Southampton
Very easy, you just have to be CAREFUL to avoid cross-threading them with screwing them back in. The rubber spark plugs might be a bit of a mare to remove, you just gotta use quick force to pull them off. Also when you put new plugs in make sure to add some copper grease to the threads to make them easier to replace the next time

#305104 - 02/05/11 12:49 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: st07]
Penny Offline

Cool thanks mate, shall I just hand tighten them or must I do it to a specific torque?

#305105 - 02/05/11 01:11 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: Penny]
st07 Offline

I'm sure there's a specific torque but I don't have a torque wrench so just make them hand tight. Maybe someone else will know.

#305106 - 02/05/11 02:05 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: st07]
nosnow3 Offline

its bassically hand tight plus a quater turn...

#305107 - 11/05/11 07:53 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: Penny]
Penny Offline

Spark plugs changed now for some Denso iridium ones, thanks for the advice and if anyone else needs to do it, it is easy providing you have the rite tool. I can't believe how much some garages charge to change them after seeing how easy it was myself.

#305108 - 11/05/11 09:07 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: Penny]
Alex_H Offline

Loc: SE London
I changed them on my old very easy, but the spark plug socket i had wasnt very good and didn't grip the plug very well after it had unscrewed it!

#305109 - 11/05/11 10:51 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: Alex_H]
Penny Offline

Yeah Thats what I thought could happen, I was going to order a spark plug tool from ebay but decided against it and managed to borrow a high quality one form a local motorbike shop. I would like to buy my own high quality one eventually though.

#305110 - 14/07/11 08:38 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: st07]
geronimo Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Croatia / Rijeka
Quote:

Very easy, you just have to be CAREFUL to avoid cross-threading them with screwing them back in. The rubber spark plugs might be a bit of a mare to remove, you just gotta use quick force to pull them off. Also when you put new plugs in make sure to add some copper grease to the threads to make them easier to replace the next time

hi mate. Can you explain "use quick force to pull them off". what exactly does this mean?
cheers.

#305111 - 14/07/11 09:06 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: geronimo]
Penny Offline

Quote:

Quote:

hi mate. Can you explain "use quick force to pull them off". what exactly does this mean?
cheers.

Give them a quick yank rather than pulling on them gently, they should come off easy enough.

#305112 - 14/07/11 09:22 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: Penny]
geronimo Offline
Site Supporter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

cheers.

Give them a quick yank rather than pulling on them gently, they should come off easy enough.

but could't they break in this way ? Mine were checked/replaced like 2 years ago by ford. I have no idea how/what they did so I'm afraid of what I might find .
My magnacor leads and denso iridium spark plugs are waiting to be fitted for a few month already. I was waiting for the GGR so I do all together. Now I'm waiting for oil catch can to arrive. I'm always waiting for something .
cheers.

#305113 - 14/07/11 09:34 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: geronimo]
Penny Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

cheers.

but could't they break in this way ? Mine were checked/replaced like 2 years ago by ford. I have no idea how/what they did so I'm afraid of what I might find .
My magnacor leads and denso iridium spark plugs are waiting to be fitted for a few month already. I was waiting for the GGR so I do all together. Now I'm waiting for oil catch can to arrive. I'm always waiting for something .
cheers.

You should be fine mate, they are made from pretty tuff material, it was the first time I had ever changed the plugs and its really easy

#305114 - 14/07/11 09:36 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: Penny]
geronimo Offline
Site Supporter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

cheers.

cheers.

You should be fine mate, they are made from pretty tuff material, it was the first time I had ever changed the plugs and its really easy

I'll let you know .

#305115 - 14/07/11 10:43 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: geronimo]
st07 Offline

I tore two plug leads by pulling 'gently' rather than a quick tug as I should have, so yeah, pull quick and fast IMHO.

#305116 - 14/07/11 10:46 PM Re: Is it hard to fit new spark plugs? [Re: st07]
geronimo Offline
Site Supporter

Quote:

I tore two plug leads by pulling 'gently' rather than a quick tug as I should have, so yeah, pull quick and fast IMHO.

Moderator:  Duncan_P, kenny, Kev 
Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Featured Member
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
defghi804823, bcdefg364873, ghijkl271915, PangaMan, qrstuv694886
6765 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
ROB IS THE STIG 297
watkja 103
kenny 86